Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Starting off some fern spores

So my first try at attempting to grow fern spores, with Cyathea lepifera, turned out to be a no go. After only a couple weeks, gray-blue patches of mold can be seen on the surface of the peat. A few days ago I got spores for Blechnum tabulare, Cyathea medullaris, Cyathea dregei, and Dicksonia fibrosa. I scoured the recycling bin and came across a bunch of containers which looked like good germination chambers.

First I started boiling some water and rinsed out the containers with soap. I filled each container with about an inch of perlite then poured boiling water over it. I then layered some peat moss on the top and wet it with the boiling water. I then stuck the container into the microwave and microwaved for 10 minutes. One of the lids of the plastic containers melted and could no longer fit over the container, so I used plastic wrap to cover it. They were all stuck in the freezer for about an hour then the spores were layered on the surface. They are in a sunny spot on a table in my growing room. No mold, please!

Spores from B and T ready to germinate!
Blechnum tabulare spores ready to go



No comments:

Post a Comment