Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Agave ornithobroma, Yucca faxoniana, and Yucca thompsoniana Germination!

It seems like almost every morning I wake up I find a new species has germinated! I really need to get some pot trays so that I can divide out my seedlings. The Agave victoriae-reginae alone has around 15 seedlings, which will take up a lot of space. I'm not done until every last inch is covered in plant!

Its interesting to compare the way the Agave victoriae-reginae seedlings look versus the Agave ornithobroma. The A. ornithobroma are much skinnier, looking almost like a succulent blade of grass. While the A. victoriae-reginae are sort of bulbous towards the base. Really interesting.

Agave ornithobroma seedlings
Yucca faxoniana shows its first signs of germination. A white root, around an inch long, can be seen through the side of the cup.

The root emerges! (Yucca faxoniana)

Lastly, Yucca thompsoniana has begun to emerge. This Yucca tree produces bluish leaves, shorter than Yucca rostrata, and retains dead leaves on the trunk as it grows, making it look nice and shaggy.

Yucca thompsoniana sprout


No comments:

Post a Comment