Sunday, March 27, 2016

Aristolochia and Fatsia Sowing


4 days ago I got some seeds from Brazil Plants. Most were Aristolochia (one of my favorite vine genera). All in all I got Aristolochia arcuata, Aristolochia chamissonensis, Aristolochia eriantha, and Aristolochia veracruzana. I put them in cups to soak for 24 hours and found the water had changed colors. Hopefully that is the seeds releasing any germination inhibitors.
Soaking the Aristolochia seeds
After the 24 hour soak, I decided to use the ziploc bag method so I could watch germination. Haven't seen anything yet, but hopefully soon!

Aristolochia in ziploc bags
I decided to collect some seeds from a Fatsia japonica which I had passed by a few times. There were tons of seeds and the berries made quite a mess below the plant. While I was cleaning the berries, I could see the juice change in color from a reddish-purple to a gray-blue. It was pretty interesting. I then rinsed the seeds and they are currently soaking. I will sow them tomorrow.
The mother Fatsia plant



Soaking the seeds

Lastly, the next plant to germinate from the Phoenix Desert Nursery seed order was Yucca elata! Completely unexpected. I would have guesses one of the Puyas would have been next. I imagine it has more to do with freshness of the seeds versus the particular genus the plant belongs. Can't wait to see what is next.


No comments:

Post a Comment