Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Dividing Yucca faxoniana, Dendroseris marginata germination

This morning I decided it was time to divide the Yucca faxoniana seedlings. They went from a sprout to the leafy thing you see now in 2 months. Unfortunately, Yucca are notoriously slow growing and I have a feeling I won't see them with a trunk for many years.
Yucca constricta, Yucca elata v. verdiensis, and Yucca faxoniana
I got 13 Y. faxoniana seedlings in total, which is pretty good considering the seeds were $1.50 from Phoenix Desert Nursery. A specimen sized plant would cost me $100's, so I am saving a lot of money in the long run!
Yucca faxoniana divided into individual pots
Hopefully it takes less than 5 years to reach this point!

5 year old Yucca faxoniana (image from tropicalcentre.com)
I also planted out the Dendroseris marginata seedlings. I got 15 seeds showing root tips and a couple which had put out their cotelydons (I shouldn't have waited so long to transfer them out of the Zip-lock bag). I ordered seeds of Dendroseris literalis from Plant World Seeds a while ago but they never sprouted or did anything. They are still in the Zip-lock bag from months ago. So when the D. marginata seeds germinated after only a couple of weeks, it was hard to contain my excitement. These seeds were part of the order from Rare Plants, which I had great success with.

Dendroseris marginata sprouts!
Dendroseris are endangered trees from the Juan Fernandez Islands. They would probably prefer the climate of San Francisco over that of Los Angeles but that won't stop me from trying to grow them. They remind me a lot of the green tree collard, which has similar colored leaves and growth habit, though they are unrelated.

Dendroseris marginata (image from kevinspence.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment